Monday 10 December 2012

Magic Realism

After showing one of my short stories to a few people I received an interesting piece of feedback that my style has elements of 'Magic Realism' to it. 

Magic Realism is a genre where magic elements are a natural part in an otherwise ordinary, realistic environment.  What I take from this would be my stories tend to have a basic well known setting such as a bar, but they contain a magical element to it, in this case a magic ring that gives you wishes.  

Gabriel Garcia Marquez's name repeatedly came up as I was researching Magic Realism.  He appears to be the father of the genre, with several successful books to his name. E.g. 100 Years of Solitude and No one writes to the Colonel




"His works have achieved significant critical acclaim and widespread commercial success, most notably for popularizing a literary style labeled as magic realism, which uses magical elements and events in otherwise ordinary and realistic situations."  Source: Wikipedia.com

A book/film favourite of mine that I had not previously thought about the genre would be 'The Green Mile'.  This story is set around a realistic death row prison of characters and what they do in their last few weeks.  The magical element is then added with the character 'John Coffey' who can add and remove people's illnesses.  

Movie Watch: From what I have researched, Woody Allen's movies tend to have a magical realism  feel to them.  In order to further my knowledge of Magic Realism I am now going to watch his latest film, 'Midnight In Paris'.  I am hoping this may provide me with some inspiration for my next short story.  


No comments:

Post a Comment