Monday 5 November 2012

LL - Week 8 - My Biggest Fan


Week 8 – 5/11/12

In script writing this week we continued where we left off before Halloween with our stories we had told each other from our own life experiences.  We have to relate this to the Ten Commandments as we will be doing coursework on this in the future.  I picked one of my own stories and started working on my script for it.  I found it a lot easier to write about something I have vaguely seen in my own life.  However we side tracked and are now required to work in pairs on a script with a unique idea.  Myself and Frankie are currently working on a fantasy idea and are meeting up at the end of the week to discuss it further. 

On Wednesday afternoon in my Camera and Lighting class I was put into groups in which we were required to choose an object from around the studio and produce a short film on it showing different uses of lighting.  The idea behind this is that if you light something in a certain way it will make the audience think in a certain way.  A room is just a room, but what if it is lit with eerie shadows and dim light? The room will become a scary surrounding just by changing the lighting effect. 

Our group chose a fan and after several terrible puns we decided to use my idea of depicting firstly the 9 months of the year in which a fan is not used and perhaps thrown in the corner gathering dust.  We would then make a transition to the summer months when the fan has its head held high and is blasting at full power.  I felt that by making the fan seem like a legitimate character that they could feel sorry for, the audience would be more interested in where the short movie was going. 
An example of how our object was set up can be shown below. 



Set design class this week allowed us to continue on with the production of our set.  Ryan and I have developed our idea in which we are going to produce a scene that shows a murderers basement together with a trophy cabinet full of shoes and a table where he carries out his abominations.  I have enjoyed creating the core of our set so far and feel as though I am starting to get better at woodwork.  
Below you can see how the core of our set is coming along after one week of work. 



I have realised that making a small set like this can prove to be quite useful.  For example when I first painted the floor of this set (shown above) I was using a colour that I thought would be perfect for the look I was going for.  However when I stood back and looked at it I thought it didn't really work how I wanted it to.  
Being a small set meant I could just paint over the floor quickly and without cost, however had this been for a large film shoot this would have been a costly mistake for both time and money.  

No comments:

Post a Comment